The NSW Government and the City of Sydney have over the last fifteen years undertaken investigations for the development of the Green Square Town Centre (GSTC).
Part of the focus for the development was creating a community precinct. The former heritage listed Royal South Sydney Hospital used in 1913 as the operating block and since 1936 as the nurses accommodation, its ground and the former pathology building was chosen as the community precinct for GSTC. Peter Stutchbury Architects were commissioned to create the exciting new community precinct.
The main feature of the community centre is the canopy comprising 7 No. arches over the courtyard leading to the park. The arches commence internally within the community centre and with surgical incisions cuts through external masonry walls and windows projecting out over the courtyard creating a vast double height space. The arches are clad externally with corrugated copper roofing and lined on the underside with polyurethane finished 50mm wide timber lining all with brass trim. The former pathology building has now being turned into the Banga community shed and public amenities. The feature of this building comprises a sweeping roof of transparent slates over the new public amenities. Matron Ruby Grant Park has been created sitting between the community centre and the community shed.
MBM’s engagement on the project was to provide full range of QS service comprising cost planning for preliminary and detailed designs, bill of quantities, pre-tender estimate, tender analysis, assessing and making recommendations for monthly contractor’s progress claims and variations